Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Is my nail polish chipping more than ever because my nails are buffed?

I have started buffing my nails and the high gloss shine looks amazing, no ridges is great but my manicure chips the next day. Usually I get a few days before more than half of my nail ends are chipped. Natural nails, I have tried drugstore brands and OPI, a high end brand from the salon and the same results. Any advice or a recommendation for an inexpensive base coat please. I already use a non yellowing base coat but maybe I should do that then another better gripping base coat on top of that.Is my nail polish chipping more than ever because my nails are buffed?
First off I would not buff so much. If you're using colored polish on top of your base coat, there's very little advantage. Only a minimal buff would be required to assist in a smooth polish finish.





Second, excessive buffing will thin nails and could lead to tearing, splitting, etc.





Third, the best base coat I'm aware of for what you describe is Orly Base Coat. I'm not sure of the ';name'; of the base coat, but it is a rubberized base for extended wear. Bottle describes how that base coat makes polish last 2 weeks without chipping. I've used it. The base coat is a bit thicker than most and a bit tacky, sticky, spongy, so I can imagine that the bonding of polish would be better than glossy base coats. OPI Natural (Professional Series) Base coat is a close second .





Lastly, don't forget to use a top quality top coat. This will affect chipping as much as anything esle. Use OPI, Orly, Sally Hansen Hard As Nails. These are best in my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment